Monday, October 3, 2011

Tacky the Penguin Craft

I have a confession to make....When I read to my children I submerse myself into the characters. Like this past week when we read Tacky the Penguin by Helen Lester.  I belted out of my lungs the song "How many toes does a fish have?" completely off key, all to my children's delight! Singing off-key weird lyrics became a fun game we played every morning while walking Andy to school. Whomever could come up with the silliest lyrics was the winner.


Tacky is an odd bird...And I quite fancy him! haha! When hunters come to catch him and his siblings, Tacky ends up saving the day with his odd behaviors. This is such a great story showing that it's ok to be unique or peculiar.


We decided to make our very own Tacky Penguins.


The boys helped me cut out the black and white pieces, but I cut out the orange feet and beaks. This is what our Penguins looked like before we added the tacky shirt and bow tie.


To make the shirt, the boys picked out a tacky piece of scrapbook paper. Then I put the penguin face down on the back side of the scrapbook paper and traced around the penguin.


Then I cut the outline out, placed it on the penguin and king of eyeballed where I needed to cut it for the neckline and arms. Hope that makes sense.


Here is what the shirt looked like before gluing it on. I simply free handed a bow tie using a different piece of scrapbook paper. The boys picked out what paper they wanted for the bow tie too.


After gluing on the shirt and tie, the boys added buttons up the whole shirt, and then added lines for his feet. Andy thinks his is the tackiest...


Luke insisted his wasn't tacky at all...


But I'm convinced my combination of floral with stripes is DEFINITELY pretty TACKY!


Happy Crafting!!

Linking up to THESE fabulous Parties!

1 Responses to “Tacky the Penguin Craft”

Andie Mandel said...
November 10, 2018 at 4:20 PM

Love this!!


Post a Comment

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner
All Rights Reserved She's Crafty | Blogger Template by Bloggermint