Sunday, May 8, 2011
Do you like this story?
This past week we read the book "Guess How Much I Love You" by Sam McBratney. Such a Darling Book! It is about two bunnies, Little Nutbrown Hare and Big Nutbrown Hare. Little Nutbrown Hare attempts to show Big Nutbrown Hare how far-reaching his love is for him. Then, as they share just how much they love one another, the adorable Little Nutbrown Hare realizes that love can be quite difficult to measure.
Both my boys loved this story! After reading it, we talked about the people we love in our lives and tried to come up with measurements of how much we loved them. We decided since Mother's Day was coming up we would make Grandma's a special "Guess How Much I Love You" card.
After discussing measurements of how much the boys loved their Grandma's, they decided they loved them "To the Stars and back" so this is the theme we used to make our card.
What you will need:
- One sheet of white cardstock paper per card, or in my case, I was making 4 cards so I purchased a sheet of poster board and cut it into fourths.
- Black acrylic paint
- paint brush
- glue stick
- small gold star stickers
- one red piece of construction paper
- a picture of your child or children
- Black marker to write on card or you can print out your words on the computer and cut and glue them on like I did.
1. Fold the sheet of cardstock or poster board (already cut into fourths) in half to make a card.
2. Open up the card and paint a section of the inside of the card in black paint (as shown below).
3. After the paint is dry, apply gold star stickers to the black paint to create a nighttime star scene.
4. Next get the pieces ready to assemble your card together. You will need to cut a red heart out of the red construction paper and have your child's picture ready.
Also, if you choose to print out the words for the card, you will need to get these ready. One for the front of the card which says "Guess How Much I Love You?" and one for the inside of the card which says
"I Love you to the Stars and Back, and that is a Fact! Have a Happy Mother's Day!" (See pictures below)
5. Assemble the front of the card by gluing on the red heart, the picture of your child on top of it, and the print out of the question: "Guess How Much I Love You?" (unless you want to write them on with black marker).
6. Glue on or write in black marker the words for the inside of the card. Then have your child sign the inside of the card.
7. At this point the card is complete, but we added some embellishments with glitter paint to the front to make it more fun.
Isn't it cute? Grandma's will smile from ear to ear when they read that their grand kids love them clear to the stars and back. If your child has another creative way of saying how much he loves Grandma, you can change the words on the inside and have him paint a different picture.
For instance, the inside could say, "I Love You clear to the Top of the Tallest Building!" and the child could paint or color a picture of a big skyscraper building on the inside. Or you could cut out a rectangle piece of paper for the building, glue it on the inside, and have your child draw all the window's to the building.
This card would also work great for a Valentine's Day Card for any loved one.
This post was written by: Franklin Manuel
Franklin Manuel is a professional blogger, web designer and front end web developer. Follow him on Twitter