Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Story time Tuesday "The Very Lonely Firefly" with Craft

So I'm a day late posting my usual weekly story time & craft. I've been away enjoying the mountains of Star Valley, Wyoming with my family and just returned last night. A couple weeks ago I saw the most adorable Firefly craft at No Time For Flashcards using Band-Aids and I knew I had to try it out with my kids. Luckily, I had the perfect book in mind to go along with it.


Eric Carle's stories are so creative and are a MUST for Preschool. Eric Carle describes his book "The Very Lonely Firefly  is about belonging. We all want to belong to a group, a family, our own fellow creatures." After talking about the meaning of the story we set out to make our own firefly families.


Mine turned out differently than No Time For Flashcard's simply because I couldn't find yellow Band-Ads, but we made some adjustments and I am very pleased with our take on the fun craft.

Materials you will need:
-Black sheet of construction paper
-yellow and white crayon
-colorful band-aids
-plain band-aids
-glue
-wiggly eyes
-yellow puffy paint


Directions:
1. Draw a moon and stars on the left corner of your black sheet of construction paper.


2. Place your regular Band-Aids on your paper to make the Firefly bodies.


3. Take the colored Band-Aids and place them over your Band-Aids making an X to form the Firefly wings.



4. Dab some glue on the top of the Band-Aids and put the wiggly eyes on.



5. Use the yellow crayon to draw antennae on the Fireflies. We also filled in more stars around the Fireflies at this point but I didn't take a picture of it.



6. Use the yellow puffy paint to paint the bottom of the Band-Aids to make them glowing.


7. You can be done at this point, but we decided to use a fine tip black marker to add some details to the face. Andy wanted me to make one of mine a girl and the others boys.



I think they turned out darling! My kids loved this craft, and why wouldn't they since ALL KIDS LOVE COOL BAND-AIDS!! Heck, even I love cool Bandaids and that's why I couldn't resist making one of these for myself.


Here is Andy's masterpiece...


Here is Luke's masterpiece...


He had some trouble making the stars but he was insistent on doing them all by himself so I was very proud of him. I love his balls at the ends of his antennae, very clever!

If you try out this craft, I'd love to hear about it.

Linking up to THESE Parties this week.
The Educators' Spin On It








Happy Reading & Crafting!!

0 Responses to “Story time Tuesday "The Very Lonely Firefly" with Craft”

Post a Comment

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner
All Rights Reserved She's Crafty | Blogger Template by Bloggermint