Tuesday, September 27, 2011

"Owl Babies" Craft

We read the fun book "Owl Babies" by Martin Waddell several times last week and I thought it would be fun to do a craft with the kids about it. I found the idea for this craft from Blue Moon Palette.


This story is about 3 owl babies, Sarah, Percy and Bill, who worry about their mother while she is gone on her night flight. It's a really simple story. My kids got a kick out of Bill because he says "I miss my Mommy" throughout the entire story and I said it in a pouty voice every time which made them chuckle.

One of my favorite ways to craft after reading a book is by simply re-creating a scene in the story. Here is what we came up with. This is my picture, because you know, I can't resist being childlike with my children!  :)


Normally I post pictures with my tutorials but I was so absorbed in doing the craft with my boys that I literally forgot to get out the camera. I know, RARE for me, but I have to admit it was great just creating and not worrying so much about getting a photo of every step. So here's the low down on our craft:

1. We started out with a black sheet of card stock paper. I wanted the background to look like there were stars so I poured some gold glitter glue in a paper bowl and diluted it down so the glitter wasn't so concentrated. Then we used a circle foam brush to dab all over the page to create stars.

2. While the glitter glue dried, we tore off a piece of brown paper to use as our branch for the owls to sit on. I happened to have a piece of brown packaging paper so we used that, but any piece of brown paper would do. If I wouldn't have had the packaging paper I honestly would have used a brown paper bag. We kind of crinkled up the paper a little to make it look more real.

3. After gluing the branch on the bottom of our paper, we each used a black marker to create lines and knots in our wood. I thought the boys did such a good job with this, I was really impressed!


4. To paint our owls we used a pom-pom attached to a clothespin for a brush. We dabbed the brush into white paint and onto our paper. We tried to make them small, medium and large, just like in the story. Luke got a little carried away with his largest owl, but I can't blame him really because it was so fun painting with the pom-pom.  :)


5. Before we started the project I had pre-cut circles for the eyes and triangles for the nose to glue on. The brown circles were 1" diameter, black circles were 1/2" diameter, and the white circle is just a hole punch. I could have easily just had the kids cut out their own circles with the paper but since there were so many different steps involved I didn't want them to get too burned out and bored with the craft so I did it in advance.

6. After the white paint was dry we glued on the eyes and nose.

7. We finished by using a yellow crayon to draw a moon in our picture.


Happy Crafting!!

Linking up to THESE Fabulous Parties.

Giveaway Party going on RIGHT NOW! Come Enter to Win some amazing prizes! Click HERE to see the Links to the Giveaway Posts!

0 Responses to “"Owl Babies" Craft”

Post a Comment

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner
All Rights Reserved She's Crafty | Blogger Template by Bloggermint