Thursday, June 23, 2011

Beginnings of a Bedroom Makeover

When we moved into our house last Summer all of the walls were completely white. Sadly to say, every single one of them still is, except for one wall in the living room that I painted as an accent wall....Ok, I totally blame it on the fact that my baby was one week old when we moved in and so obviously I've been busy this past year. However, I've at that point where I'm feeling desperate to finally start doing some things around my house to make it more appealing.

I've really wanted to change up my boys' bedroom and make it fun for them so when I found these old, sturdy bunk beds on KSL Classifieds I knew I HAD to buy them, especially since their bedroom is on the small side. These beds have been through 7 children so even though they are really sturdy and are great quality, they need a major re-finishing job. There is permanent marker all over the place! haha

Don't mind the messy garage. We have about 9 million projects going on in there right now. haha


My favorite part of the bunk beds are the cubby holes in the head boards. My boys will be jamming them full of dinosaurs, I'm sure!

Since hubby has been out working on the bunk beds and I've been minus 2 this week (meaning my Mother-in-Law wanted some time with my boys so I shipped them off for a couple days), I've been a wee bit bored. So last night I decided to sew some new pillowcases for my boys as part of their bedroom remodel.

We found this fabric at Wal-Mart (of all places) and since my boys are BIG TIME DINOSAUR fans we decided to go with it. Plus, I already had some blues in the room anyways.


I am new at sewing so I had to look at some tutorials for how to sew a pillowcase. I was so pleased that I finally learned what a french seam was and was able to make one on my pillowcases, so now there won't be any fraying on the inside. Yay!


I think it's funny that instead of lounging around relaxing when my boys are gone, I make something for THEM instead. I guess once you have a child they are just literally always a part of you. The pillowcases were a success. Now I just need to go get a gallon of paint...


By the way, have you ever wondered what I do with all the crafts we do around here? With the help of my in-law's, I made these fun square magnet boards that are hung above their beds so they act as headboards. I painted them a color that matched their bedding and added some glitter glue on top to add some pizazz. Then I bought some wood letters from Michael's, painted them and glued them on the frame to personalize it. I debated painting chalkboard paint on them, but ultimately decided I didn't want the chalk mess in their bedroom (you know kids!).


So after hanging our crafts on the fridge for a week, we usually rotate them onto the magnet board. The boys love seeing all their projects up there and it makes fun bedtime conversation rehearsing what we read and learned all over again. Plus, it's just so dang fun to see all their creations up there!


Beyond the magnet board, I haven't figured out quite yet what to do with all the crafts. I've just been storing them for years in a box and figured I would put them in a scrapbook some day. What do you do with all your children's creations? I'd love some ideas.

PS- We found these darling Melissa & Doug Dinosaur Magnets that are on the magnet board at Ross for cheap. They literally consume any free space on the magnet boards because my boys love them so much!

0 Responses to “Beginnings of a Bedroom Makeover”

Post a Comment

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner
All Rights Reserved She's Crafty | Blogger Template by Bloggermint